Dear pregnant woman , we all know that heartburn during pregnancy is major problem that faces you, and prevent you from being comfortable , so in this article ” heartburn during pregnancy ” , we will discuss all points about heartburn , and help you to get rid of this annoying problem , so let’s continue reading…….
- 1 Heartburn during pregnancy :
- 2 what causes heartburn in pregnancy :
- 3 When heartburn starts during pregnancy? And when will it stop?
- 4 Heartburn relief during pregnancy:
- 5 Food that increase heartburn during pregnancy:
- 6 Natural remedies for heartburn during pregnancy:
Heartburn during pregnancy :
It is a sensation of burning or irritation in the esophagus, caused by the reflux of stomach contents back again to it; these contents have the stomach juice and digestive acids that cause the inflammation and irritation to the wall of the esophagus, causing that painful sensation of burning.
This normally occurs , in all people , even without any healthy problems , but heartburn during pregnancy is a repetitive problem, and lasts for several months, this is due to many causes, let’s discuss it ….
what causes heartburn in pregnancy :
As we know , when you get pregnant , your body will be so sensitive and be under the effect of many physical and physiological changes , but these changes sometimes lead to many problems , heartburn is one of these problems , let’s discuss the possible causes of heartburn during pregnancy .
The hormonal changes.
Normally , your uterus secrets high level of hormone progesterone , that is responsible for the relaxation of uterus muscles to protect your baby from contractions and prevent miscarriage , but this hormone doesn’t work only on the uterus muscles but also on the smooth muscles of the GIT , it relaxes the valve that separates the esophagus from stomach , causing the reflux of the gastric juice back again to esophagus , thus feeling this uncomfortable sensation , also it slows down the movement of your stomach , so affect the all process of digestion .
The enlarged uterus.
As your pregnancy go on, the baby will gain much weight, and accumulates much space, so the uterus will be enlarged to shelter the baby, but this pushes your intestine and stomach upwards, and forces the painful acids through esophagus.
When heartburn starts during pregnancy? And when will it stop?
There is no general rule for the time of feeling heartburn during pregnancy , but most pregnant women experience this painful heartburn in the second and third trimesters, but don’t worries about this problem, as it is temporary pregnancy symptom that will stop once your baby get delivered.
Heartburn relief during pregnancy:
Here are some tips; you should try to relief heartburn during pregnancy without hurting your baby:
- Don’t eat one large meal; instead divide it into several small ones.
- Don’t lie down immediately after eating, but wait for at least one an hour.
- Avoid drinking water while eating, as large amounts of water may increase the possibility of acid reflux in pregnancy .
- Try to eat in slowly manner, as this improves your digestion and promote gastric empty faster.
- Avoid fatty, spicy and fried meals, as these meals increase the risk of heartburn during pregnancy , in addition they are hard to be digested.
- If you are smoker, so stop it completely.
- Try this trick, chew a sugarless gum after eating, this will increase the amount of saliva and reduce the acids.
- Watch your weight, as heavy weight will exert an extra pressure to your stomach and worsen heartburn symptoms, for more information about fitness and weight control during pregnancy, read this article fitness during pregnancy
- Try to raise your head at sleeping, in a level higher than your legs, as this prevents the reflux of acids into esophagus.
- Don’t wear very tight clothes, to avoid pressure on your stomach and abdomen, instead wear comfortable clothes.
- If your symptoms didn’t improved, you should ask your doctor to take over the counter drugs, which help you improve your painful sensation, for example; Maalox or gaviscon or any other liquid drug that soothes your esophagus walls and neutralize the high acidity.
- Decrease the amount of hot drinks, as it increase the burning sensation, exchange it with cold drinks.
These habits will help you, improve your symptoms and feel comfortable so follow them and keep them as usual habits when you feel the early signs of pregnancy.
Food that increase heartburn during pregnancy:
- Spicy food
- Garlic and anion
- Citrus fruits
- Fatty foods
- Soda drinks
Natural remedies for heartburn during pregnancy:
As a pregnant woman, you should always try the natural remedies for heartburn , as they are good for your health and your baby, also you should avoid chemicals and drugs as you can, so here is a group of natural remedies for heartburn that may help you relief heartburn during pregnancy,
apples or bananas
As bananas and apples contain natural antacids, that can neutralize the excess acids, so try to eat them before bed time.
Here is a natural remedy for heartburn, almond has a powerful effect in neutralizing the excess acids, and considered as a natural antacid, so don’t miss it after any meal.
Drinking cup of chamomile before going to sleep, will help to reduce the inflammation of your stomach and reduce the burning acids, also chamomile has an extra advantage, as thought to help relaxing and get rid of stress that may increase acid reflux in pregnancy .
Try this trick, put one teaspoonful of baking soda in a cup of water and drink it, immediately it will neutralize the acidity and let you feeling comfortable.
Aloe Vera juice
Aloe Vera juice is considered as natural demulcent that soothes and lines the esophageal wall, working as a protecting layer from the burning acids.
Milk and yoghurt
Is milk good for heartburn ? Or worsen the symptoms?
There is a wide discussion about this point, some say milk is good due to have soothing effect on the esophageal wall, while others say that milk contain high amounts of fats, that induce the acid production and lead to heartburn, but our advice to you, drink light milk that contain low amount of fats e.g. goat milk and skim milk and avoid cow’s milk during heartburn.
Now we almost discussed all the concerned points about heartburn during pregnancy and we hope you to find all that you want to know, and we wish you a healthy, comfortable life, our dear mother…….