Labor and delivery nurse care for women throughout labor and childbirth , she also prepare them for the stages of giving birth
labor and delivery nurses help to bring the babies in our world every day , they Care for Women throughout labor and childbirth , coaching moms , assisting doctors and monitoring the baby and his mother , a labor and delivery nurse prepare women and their families for the stages of giving birth and they help mothers with breastfeeding after the baby is born.
The labor and delivery nurse is generally employed by clinics , hospitals , and physician’s offices as well as birthing centers , she may work rotating shifts , weekends , nights and holidays
labor and delivery nurse does the following:
- time contractions
- monitor the baby’s heart rate and the mother’s blood pressure
- identify and assist with complications
- assist with various procedures including caesarean sections
- aid in inducing labor
- consult with physicians and other members of the medical team
- help administer medications and epidurals
- prepare New Moms for before ,during and after pregnancy
this job is characterized by the following:
labor and delivery nurses should be a quick thinker , a good communicator, and a rapid assessor to treat unpredictable shifts in the health of the mother and her baby with compassion and safety . the key skills also needed by a labor and delivery nurse include emotional stability , critical thinking skills , detailed-oriented and patience , she should also display good judgment and possess the ability to make quick decisions, she must also be familiar with Microsoft Excel , medical software and accounting software , the ability to use various medical equipment and measure Vital Signs is also required .
to become a labor and delivery nurse you should follow the following steps:
- you must obtain Nursing training as an associate’s degree in nursing , a nursing diploma from an accredited nursing hospital or a school or a bachelor’s degree in nursing , the bachelor’s degree programs are completed in four years , on the other hand diploma and associate’s degree in nursing take at least two years , Nursing degree programs include courses in Psychology, chemistry nutrition, Anatomy ,microbiology , and pharmacology .
- in order to gain licensure individuals must provide transcripts , demonstrate basic nursing skills and pass the NCLEX-RN , that exam measures the technical skills and the knowledge that entry-level nurses need to perform their jobs efficiently and safely .
- gain work experience in labor and delivery . the labor and delivery nurse is also required to have knowledge of fetal monitoring and the neonatal resuscitation .
Does a labor and delivery nurse job suit you?
Don’t forget to share the article ! And leave a comment to tell us how did you find it .
check also nurse midwife